Sunday, March 18, 2007

SXSW Update

SXSW was amazing. I saw so many live shows that I actually don’t think I care to hear any more music for at least a couple of days. My favorite performances were undoubtedly by the following bands:
- Between the Trees
- Lola Ray
- A Day to Remember
- Kirkland
- Ian Moore
- Aslyn
- Fink
- Jamie Scott

And I’m sure I forgot some. I also had a great time at numerous industry parties and educational panels. BMI’s Brunch was undoubtedly the biggest schmooze-fest of the event and they had some incredible performances. The Law firm of Davis, Shapiro, Lewit, Montone and Hayes party was a real close second and everyone and their mother were at both parties.

My Boys, Between the Trees, put on two amazing shows and things are really heating up for them. Their album will be nationally released in April and from the way things were heating up, it looks like this album is going to do really well for them. David McKenna and Nick Sambrato of Bonded Records, did a spectacular job of showcasing the band at this year’s festival and I’m sure we’ll see a lot more success out of them.

Up and coming L.A. band manger, Justin Sena, showcased his band Kirkland at “The Chuggin Monkey” and they put on a great show. This is another band that I really expect some great things from and I can’t wait to hear what they are going to turn out in their next trip into the studio.

Lastly, the “state of the industry” panels held by some of the country’s most prominent entertainment lawyers were extremely informative and it was nice to see that even the lawyers that work for most of the major record labels are really starting to see a power shift to artists and are actually welcoming the industry changes (or so they say). I guess we’ll just have to wait and see!

As for me, I’m tired. Time to go home.

P.S. – check out the pics below, or you can see them all at:

http://www.flickr.com/gp/34014183@N00/13M278

No comments: