Thursday, February 15, 2007

The iTunes Dilemma

I listen to my music these days almost exclusively on iTunes. I do listen to a few CDs in my car and in my recording studio but for the most part its iPod and iTunes. Yup, Apple got me, hook, line and sinker.

So whenever a songwriter, producer, or act sends me a CD, the first thing I do is rip it into iTunes. Hopefully, when I insert it, it already has tags from CDDB and all of the songs and the artist come up. If it doesn't, I enter them in and then rip it. I also get a lot of MP3s emailed to me. This is where the dilemma comes in.

When I was on a long flight from L.A. to Orlando, I was listening to my iTunes on the random setting. This song came up that I don't really remember hearing and I was like, damn, this is a really good tune. So, I checked the artists name, and I didn't recognize it. Likely that meant that this was a songwriting demo or a producer demo that someone had sent me. So I hit Command+i (on a windows machine I believe its ctrl+i) and I looked at the info. LUCKILY, the producer who sent me the song was wise enough to put his info in the notes section. It said:

Produced and engineered by: __________. ###-###-##### producer@producerissmart.com

There it was, name, phone number and email. Exactly what I needed to find out more about the artist and the producer.

Remember, if your songs are great, they will travel all over the internet via email. So, if you want people to be able to find you, be sure to put your contact info in the notes section of iTunes on EACH ONE of your songs. It will only take you a few moments and you'll be glad you did. I know the producer that I'm referring to was very glad that he did.

No comments: